Palatine Concert Band Logo

Next Performance:
Wednesday June 13th, 2007 8:00 P.M.
Palatine Community Park - Palatine, IL
The Band Timeline
1875
Director H. Schnierding. 15 members. Known as the Palatine Military Band it was billed as "The Melody Toast Of The Northwest Suburbs." Anyone who wanted just brought their instrument and played. The band practiced in Knickrene's cabinet shop.
1890
The youngest member of the band, a cornet player, Adolph Kuntze, still wore knee pants. One snare dummer kept playing though his music showed a 15-measure rest. When the leader questioned why he continued to play the drummer replied, "I'm not tired."
1900
Direct Maurice Reickert, 21 members. The band traveled to any venue that could be reached by the P.L.Z. & W. railroad.
1906
Director, Walter N. Spears, music teacher and violinist from Barrington. Presenting concerts at the intersection of Brockway and Slade Street every Friday evening throughout the summer.
1920
25 members. Played at Cook County Fair Grounds.
1935
The band was dissolved.
1955
18 local musicians played in the Palatine Centennial Parade as the Palatine Military Band, on a wagon pulled by truck. The Village Manager of Palatine, Robert Eppley, lead the effort to revitalize the band.
1958
Females were welcomed as members of the band for the first time.
1960
Director, Edward Volz, music instructor at Prospect high school, 36 members. Name changed to Palatine Village Band. Band members converted the chassis of a 1925 water truck into a mobile bandstand. Band members were given red suspenders to compliment the band's uniform of white shirt, dark trousers, black string tie, and black and white leather caps with nibs like firemen's hats by the Village of Rolling Meadows in appreciation for playing for the Village's 50th anniversary celebration.
1963
Director Fred Elliot, Director of Bands at Forest View High School, Arlington Heights. Now known as the Palatine-Northwest Community Band, presenting concerts at Palatine Community Park at the intersection of Chicago Avenue (now Palatine Road) and Northwest Highway every Friday evening throughout the summer. A "Hungry Five" novelty group performed old time German Polkas and Waltzes during these concerts The Village of Palatine and the Palatine Park District sponsored the concerts.
1964
Pledges of funds were received from the Village of Palatine ($2,000) and Palatine Park District ($1,000) to finance a year round program. The band performed at Cutting Hall for the first time, no admission charge.
1966
50-member all-adult band. An 18-piece jazz big band unit was formed with band members who had experience playing with big bands.
1967
The Palatine Village Band was the subject of the lead article in the January 1967 issue of "The Instrumentalist".
1968
Director B. G. Cook, Retired Director of the Fifth Army Band. The band was incorporated as a not for profit for educational purposes. The band performed in a new $15,000 band shell, a portable unit with it's own power generator, lights and audio equipment, purchased by the Park District. Harry Benstein, Palatine Insurance Broker, chaired a commission working to raise funds to reimburse the Park District.
1969
Director John R. Shoemaker. 60 members. Presented a joint concert with the Palatine High School Band.
1969
Director John M. Christie, former winds instructor at the University of Missouri, Editor of "The Instrumentalist."
1970
Director Arthur D. Katterjohn, Director of Wheaton College. Symphony Orchestra and Concert Band.
1971
The Palatine Village board withdrew the VIllage's annual $2,000 financial support of the band due to budget problems. The Park District continued its $1,000 annual support.
1972
The band started charging admission of $1.00.
1973
The band needs funds to avoid folding. Programs to raise funds included; a "Friends of the Band" fund arranged at the Palatine National Band; sale of a recording "In Concert: The Palatine Village Band," The band's annual expense is $3,000.00, the treasury is down to $700. The Villages of Schaumburg and Arlington Heights both expressed interest in moving the band to their communities.
1974
The Palatine Village Board approved $1,000 for the band in return for a commitment to stay in Palatine. The band has 55 members.
1976
Now known as the Palatine Concert Band. The public was invited to attend band rehearsals. The band purchased an old school bus and played out the windows to ride in parades.
1978
75 members.
1980
Arthur Katterjohn died of cancer at age 50. New Director Barbara Buehlman, Director Round Lake High School Symphonic Band. 80 members.
1982
The band performed at the Illinois Music Educators Convention in Springfield, IL. The band is receiving funding from Harper College and became part of the curriculum of the school.
1986
Director Dale Johansen, retired director of the United States Army Band, Washington D.C.
1991
Director Dr. Donald DeRoche, Chairman of the performance studies and Director of Bands, DePaul University. 90 members.
1992
Palatine Mayor Rita Mullins performed a one-note solo on the bass drum.
1997
Director John Thompson, Director of Bands, New Trier High School.
1999
Director Ronald H. Polancich, Director of Bands and Music Department Chair at York Community High School.
Soloists that have appeared with the band include:
Dale Clevenger, French horn Soloist, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Larry Combs, Clarinet Soloist, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Floyd Cooley, Tuba, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
Patricia Dash, Marimba, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Bruce Daugherty, Trumpet Soloist, Millar Brass Ensemble
Julie Reid DeRoche, Clarinet Soloist, Clarinet faculty DePaul University
Ronald J. Grundberg, Euphonium Soloist, formerly with the Fifth Army Band
John Hagstrom, Trumpet Soloist, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Warren Kime, Trumpet Soloist, Studio Musician
Charles Koehn, Bass Vocal Soloist, Lyric Opera of Chicago
Ron Modell, Trumpet Soloist, Trumpet instructer, Northern Illinois University
Bill Kurtis, Narrator, Chicago Channel 2 News Broadcaster
David Reiser, Tenor Vocal Solo, Choir Director Palatine High School, Composer of Musicals Comedies
Robert Rushford, Trumpet Soloist, Chicago Lyric Opera
Robert Rusk Tuba, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra
Dr. Frank J. Scimonelli, Post horn Solo, United States Navy Band
James Smelser, Horn Soloist, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Charles Vernon, Trombone Soloist, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Jim Wisniewski, Clarinet Soloist, New Mexico Symphony Orchestra
 
In The 1970s the band held an annual contest to select a high school soloist.
Winners:
Brian Jacoby, Trombone,
Mark Lathan, Trumpet, Wheeling High School student
Mark Maegdlin, Marimba, Buffalo High School
Anthony McGill, Clarinet, eighth grade at Whitney Young Academy in Chicago
Carla Rossi, Flute, Fremd High School student (sophomore)
Lisa Saunderson, Piano, Palatine High School student
 
Guest Conductors:
Gregory Clemons, Director of Bands, Harper College, previously Director of bands Texas Christian College
Jim Curnow, Internationally acclaimed composer
Dr. Richard R. Fischer, Professor of Music and Director of Bands, Concordia University
Wesley W. Hanson, Director of Bands, North Park College
William Himes, Music Director and Band Master, Salvation Army Chicago District
David J. Lenckos, Composer and Arranger (Star Trek, the Motion Picture)
Richard Madden, former instructor of woodwinds at Ohia University
Vaclav Nelhybel, Internationally acclaimed composer
John Paynter, Director of Bands, Northwestern University
John Shoemaker, Director of the Palatine High School Band
Tom Trimborn, Band Director Palatine High School
 
And the band has performed with local Choirs:
Crystal Lake Community Choir
Village Church of Barrington
If you're interested in ordering an Audio CD from our 2005-06 Concert Season, please download and fill out the Palatine Concert Band CD Order Form.

OUR Media

The Palatine Concert Band is a participant in the Amazon.com Associates Program. Help support the band by ordering your books, music, and movies online through this link.